Thursday, August 21, 2008
Wow, my eyes have been opened!
The book chosen for this months book club of ours was "Left to Tell" by Immaculee Ilibagiza. It is her true story about finding God amidst the Rwandan Holocaust. I believe this is a must read book. Upon hearing that this book had been chosen I came to the conclusion that this would be one book I wouldn't read since I knew so little about it, but what I did know was that their was lots of brutality in this story. I didn't know if I myself could read such sadness. I put it off and then coming upon 2 days until book club was to meet, I sat down and began to read. Wow! I have little words to explain how I felt while reading and how I feel now. I can't remember if I knew that this was going on in Rwanda 14 years ago, or if I was just too selfish to care what other people in another Nation was suffering. I hope and pray it wasn't the latter. After reading this story about her life and her suffering thru this tradgedy that happened upon her and her family, & all the tutsi's that lived there I cried tears of sadness for the things they went thru and then also for the freedom's that I have taken for granted. I am grateful to live in the U.S. I hope that I never take my freedom of living in this beautiful country for granted again. I am thankful that Immaculee took the time to write her story so that I had the opportunity to read and learn more about what happened in history that I had so little knowledge about. Please if you get an opportunity to read this book, take time to really ponder the things that are written. I promise you you'll never feel the same again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I might try and read it, your first reaction is how I usually feel about books like that.
Post a Comment