Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The "Y" Hike

Today the kids and I hiked to the "Y" on the mountain here in Provo. It is a fun hike to do especially with little ones. With it only being around 2.5 miles round trip, most everyone is able to do it and enjoy it. Darrick and Nate did it earlier this summer and since then, Nate has wanted to do it again with the other kids. The summer has slipped so quickly by that we haven't accomplished another hike.........until today. I only had a 4 mile run scheduled on my training log today....... so I cancelled a running day and scheduled in a hiking day with my 3 kids. It was so worth it. Nate didn't stop the whole way. He kept saying "Don't stop. Don't run cause you'll waste all your energy. Keep going until you reach the top.......your legs will hurt and will be in pain but you have to keep moving until we reach the top of the Y." Shay kept saying "I am going to die," and Naomi kept saying "I can't breathe." I laughed inside at how they all handled this hike, but with little pushes they all made it to the top of the Y where we sat for awhile and looked out at the valley we live in. We looked for people's houses and for swimming pools, schools, parks, etc. There is nothing I could think of tonight that could have topped that experience I shared with my kids today. Thank you Nate for pushing the issue of the hike. We had a great time doing it together and next time we'll make sure we include Dad.

3 comments:

Steve & Brenda said...

You guys are the luckiest! I wish that we could find a free day to hike the "Y" I haven't done it before, but Brenda says she has. I am so glad you all had a fun experience together. See Shay, you are not dead. And Naomi, you are still breathing. Nate is a go-getter-way to go Nate.

Jared said...

You got tough kids. That is not surprise considering their super-amazing-marathon-running parents!

Jared said...

By the way it was me (susan) that left that last comment not Jared. :)