Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My 1st "out of gas" experience!

Today has been a hectic day. I have been running in every direction, trying to get everything done and feeling like I've done so little. Tonight Darrick went on a run with a friend while I was cooking dinner for the family. I finished dinner, fed the boys and myself, made Naomi a plate of food and hurried off to pick her up from dance. Usually I'm gone no longer than 15 min. so I left the boys here giving them instuctions to keep the door locked until Dad or I got back. I noticed that the gas gauge in the truck read that I still had 1/4 of a tank of gas. I knew I would have to stop for gas tonight or tomorrow morning, but no worries. How wrong I was. I made it to Naomi's dance studio, picked her up and off we drove.....for at least a 1/2 mile. The tank went from 1/4 of a tank to an 1/8 of a tank quickly, but still I thought nothing of it. I made my first turn off the main road and it was then that I noticed the accelorater was not working. Lights were on, gauges read fine, gas gauge still at 1/8 of a tank, but no power from the gas pedal. "Crap," is what I was thinking. I pulled over and turned the truck off. I went to dial Darrick and then realized he was still on a run. I called the house and talked to Shay telling him I had just broke down and that I would call him back, but to hang in there because Dad would be home soon. Naomi and I just looked at each other. It was 6:45 and I was to have Naomi to young womens by 7. My luck! She just laughed. I called my friend Kim and this is how the conversation went:

Kim: Hello

Me: Hey, whatcha doin?

Kim: Filing.......

Me: I broke down

Kim: No you didn't (laughing)

Me: Kim, I did. I really did break down. I think I ran out of gas.

Kim: (Still laughing)

Me: Darrick is on a run, and I need help. Are you doing anything? Can you bring me some gas?

Kim: Ummm. Yeah...where are you? Lets see...where's my gas can.....I'll have to call Mark.....

Me: Kim, I have a gas can at my house just go get one.

Kim: (still laughing) Okay, I will get there soon. Where are you again?

After giving directions we hung up and in the darkness of the truck and night..... Naomi and I just looked at each other and laughed. We made phone calls to her friend and leaders telling them what had happened and hoped that we would make it home before they left for their activity.
Kim soon came, with gas can and all and saved the night! We were able to get a 1/2 tank of gas and drive on home. My husband called and I'm sure he wanted to bust out laughing but sounded genuinely concerned that this had happened. We decided that we wouldn't let the gas get below a 1/2 of a tank from now on in our little blue truck.
Naomi made it to young womens.......and all ended good!

THANK YOU KIM!!!!!!! We love you!

8 comments:

Bronk said...

I love you guys too!!!! I would have come in a blazing snow storm to save your "out of gas butt!" But luckily that wasn't the case! :) And just for the record you have saved my butt plenty of times. (well not lately, we're a little sore from the work outs). Ha Ha!! Love ya!

Danielle Christiansen said...

I have been out of gas it is horrible and embarassing. I am glad you guys are alive and didn't have to stay out there long. My husband would be making fun of me for the rest of my life. In fact he does.

A New Decade of Health said...

Knock on wood I have never had that experience but at least you weren't by yourself and thank goodness for cell phones!

Stephanie said...

Hey!! I am glad that you left me a note. I was also glad to see your blog!!!! Your family is so cute. Where are you in Utah? I would love to catch up.

Michelle said...

Hey Alisha, it sounds like an experience that you and your daughter will never forget. Thats the awesome part of life...you never know what will be thrown at you, it was good you had a good laugh about it.

kristin said...

Congrats on making it until your 34th year to have this happen.I am very infamous for this happening. The thing is, once you start it will never stop. It just haunts the crap out of you and you will continue from this time on..... So Good Luck. LOL

Steve & Brenda said...

I am glad it all worked out! You know how to tell great stories Alicia. You know if you EVER need to call us for help too, we are here 100%. Laughing really is the best medicine right??

Katie said...

It's only had to happen to me once to believe the gas gauge. Cory thinks I'm crazy for being anal about getting gas right when the gauge beeps, but he's never run out of gas. It's not fun. I'm glad everything worked out.