Wednesday, August 19, 2009

1st day of High School!


Naomi is an official "freshman" in high school. Her morning started at 5:30 a.m. (a little earlier than summers wake up time) & we were out the door by 6:40 a.m. to pick up her best friend Marissa. Naomi hurriedly skipped through the stations of the radio trying to find music to listen to, only to find D.J.'s talking about some topic or another. She sat restless in her seat, talking back & forth between Marissa & I. I wanted to laugh out loud at these 2 girls who sat in the car with so much to say at 6:45 in the morning. As we neared the school (2 blocks away) I asked the question...."Any last words?" Marissa said out loud "I'm scared!" & Naomi even louder announced "I'm going to crap my pants!" haha. I laughed so hard. There is no candy coating Naomi's thoughts...she says it like it is.....or wait...I hope she didn't!!!!
I dropped these two off at the curb, wished them well, sent Naomi a text message telling her I loved her & that she'd do great.......and then I cried all the way home! I know what you're thinking...cry? Yes I did. I wasn't prepared for that emotion. We have talked extensively about the first day of school & what fun she'd have in these next 4 years, and then I watched my little girl walk away from the safety of my car & into the hands of a much bigger world! Knots & butterflies lived in my stomach all day until I got her call at 1:50 announcing she'd made it through & all was well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am wondering why you don't have a picture of Naomi at a desk at school. Didn't you want your mom to come take a picture of you at high School Nomes?

Roy J. Despain said...

Namoi I can not believe you are going into high school. I can even remember when I first went to high school. It was a very little high school. My graduating class had 11 total kids. I could report I was 11th in my class and people would think I was really smart; at least until I told them there were only 11 in my class. Good Luck
G&G D