Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dance Recital & E.R. Visit.....All in just a few hours!






Naomi was excited, nervous, excited, sick to her stomach, excited, and so on for her upcoming Christmas Dance Recital on Fri. night. Rehearsal had gone well the night before and she had practiced her solo over and over and over again. She was excited to perform her solo for her Dad who hasn't seen it yet. All seemed the same as performances before.....the hair and make-up, the packing of costumes, and all the extra's to pack for the "just in case" moments. Friends and Family were going to be there to watch and Naomi seemed fired up and ready to go.
Her first dance with her team was fun to watch and she did awesome! The 2nd dance started off great but as the dance progressed we saw her smile fade and tears fill her eyes. She kept dancing but everyone around us noticed the limp she now danced with. My first thought was that she hit her heel (which has been bruised) a little too hard and that all would be fine. I went backstage to find Naomi (with one of her teachers) crying and trying to walk around. She wasn't able to walk, and all she could say is "I have let my team down.....why did this happen to me......I have to get back on stage (yeah right!)......I have disappointed all of you and my teachers." It's hard as a Mom to see your kids hurt and upset in this way. After carrying her to her dressing room and having her dance teacher Alexis look her over, we came to the conclusion that Naomi would not be dancing any more that night. She had heard a pop when she went down in her splits and her leg filled with pain that would'nt go away. Tears still flowed and off we headed to the E.R. down the street. We weren't sure what happened. Was it a pulled muscle? A torn muscle? Pulled ligaments? Hip flexor? We didn't know. They x-rayed her at the hospital only to tell us that the bone was not fractured. Yeah....we kind of knew that one. We were hoping they would at least be able to tell us what happened to the muscle if anything. They said that would take an MRI to figure out and couldn't get her in last night. They recommended a sports therapist to see on Mon. We are now icing the leg...20 min. on and 20 min. off and doing the ibuprofen fun. We are hoping and praying it is nothing but a hurt muscle that will allow her to be back to dance soon. What a night! Thanks to all those who called or text messages with concern for Naomi. I think she's going to live. :-) Her Dad will have to see the Solo at competition! We are so sorry Naomi!

7 comments:

Mulder said...

We're so sorry Naomi!!! Hope they find out what exactly happened soon... you're an awesome dancer!

Katie said...

Poor girl! The pictures of her are darling. I'm sorry your night ended so painfully. Hang in there.

A New Decade of Health said...

I always worry about my son playing sports, but I can see that dance can be just as hard on them. What a trooper to want to hang in there. Hope she gets better soon and can get back to dancing. It looks like she loves it!

Jared said...

Ohhh Nooo! Sorry Naoms! It sounds just like here to keep wanting to go on.

Sarah said...

What a bummer, Naomi! I hope you know that your family, friends, and team love you regardless! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Danielle Christiansen said...

I am glad she is o.k We were so worried. I saw her face too and knew something wasn't right.
Now we can all eagerly await her solo. Take care naomi we love ya!

Mulder said...

Any news yet on Naomi? Hope she's alright!