Sunday, September 21, 2008

Alisha's Pics & Time



So here is my story.........my run.......my marathon #2!

My time 4:15:08 according to Susan's watch, which accounted for the potty break at mile 10. My official chip time was 4:17: something. I'll stick with Susan's watch!

We started out at a really good pace....we ran anywhere from a 7 min to a 9 min. per mile pace for over the first half of the race. The canyon was beautiful. We started our race with a long t-shirt over our tank tops but by mile 3 they landed by the road side in a pile of other clothes that would be taken back to the finish line for pick-up later. The moring air was cool and perfect for running. We had a few raindrops here and there while running down the canyon road but we enjoyed the beauty that surrounded us. The trees leaves have changed in color for fall and as we looked around us there were brilliant reds, oranges, yellows & greens. The river ran next to the road and the world seemed at peace. The only sounds you could hear were the pitter patter of feet running down the road and often times seemed all in sync. Susan and I of course talked about all different things. We have been running now together for almost 4 years and in that time you learn a lot about one another. We can almost finish one another's sentences and even when we make no sense at all (because of the lack of oxygen) we know exactly what the other person is saying. We have almost depleted our stories and so this time we brought up childhood stories, embarressing moments & spiritual stories. At times we just ran and enjoyed the moment. We found that we chatted with others, interracted with the spectators and gave hi-fives to the children along the side of the road. At mile 14 we came out of the canyon and headed north towards Logan. It was there that we ran into Travis. It was good to see a familiar face. We headed on. We ran thru small country towns that were nice and quiet. The people we came upon yelled out encouraging words. Our spirits were high and we were doing well. Around mile 20 the soreness crept into the muscles and I tried not to think of all that hurt. It rained on us some more but it only lasted maybe a mile. At mile 23 the muscles were getting tighter but my mind was clear and strong. Mile 24 came slower than the others but again my mind was strong. It's amazing how the muscles cramp up and no matter how hard you try.....you can't talk them into loosening up any. I knew I could get through the last 2.2 miles. I had done it before and I could do it now. Mile 25 came pouring rain and some familiar faces (Cathy & Mike Larsen), who had driven up to Logan earlier than planned just to see us finish. They are in our ward and Cathy attends the aerobics class that I teach. What a support that was to have them "yell" us on. The last 1/2 mile seemed more like 5 but it was growing shorter with each step. The last turn came and there in front of us was the "Finish Line". I tried to pick up the pace for my last .2 mile finish and it was hard........but so rewarding! We crossed that line with another marathon finish in our pockets.......and a little more sweat on the brow. I had seen people go down with injuries......saw big men on the side of the road sick not wanting to take another step further.....I had seen people of all ages, all sizes, all shapes......and I finished! I took 23 minutes off my time from my first. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

A New Decade of Health said...

Congratulations! It's got to be amazing to work so hard and finally accomplish something. You deserve a good rest!

Bronk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bronk said...

Sorry I made a typo in my last comment. And it bugged me so....
Yeah! I'm so proud of you! I love the picture of you and Naomi hugging! It got me all teary-eyed! It was fun to get the updates on your time. I found myself really antsy waiting to get the text at the end. I'm glad you beat your time. Way to go! And I'm glad you took my advice and RAN!!! Love ya!

Katie said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment. It must feel good knowing you worked so hard and it paid off. I hope your body has recouped well. Way to go!!!